Thursday, July 7, 2011

Promises


OMG! OMG! OMG!  I want one!  Look at that adorable little guy.   No, not the knitting.  The little guy on the screen in the background.  I want one!  No, make that, I want 2!  Or 10, or even 20.  I swear, I don't think I've ever in my life seen anything so adorable!  For a closer look, go to Ann Budd's blog which is what's actually on my screen in the photo.  OMG!  I want one so bad!  How could you not want something so cute?

Ok, I guess I should apologize for all those OMG's.  My kids tell me that only 12 year old girls are allowed to say OMG.  I'm an adult & I should find some other way to gush over things, but...  OMG!  Look at that little guy!  He's so freaking cute!

Besides being obsessed with that adorable little fellow, I'm also certifiably obsessed with the Wendyknits Summer Mystery Shawl which you can find here.  I cast on for shawl #3 yesterday and made pretty good progress.  This one is being knit with an 80% superwash merino & 20% nylon fingering weight yarn from Tanis Fiber Arts in the Garnet colorway.  

The yarn has been a surprise from the start.  This is my first project using Tanis's yarn & when I ordered it, I thought the yarn would be a deep burgundy wine color.  Instead, it's like if you had a deep burgundy wine colored pair of favorite jeans that have been worn and washed and have faded out to that perfect color/texture jeans tend to get.   When I wound the yarn, I used my swift so I didn't get the textural sensation of winding it by hand.  When I first started knitting with it, I wasn't sure I'd like it.  It felt a bit like I was knitting with a stiff cottony yarn.  I'm not a big fan of pure cotton.   But after knitting an inch or so of the shawl, it no longer has that stiff feeling in my hands and the knitted fabric is wonderful!  Soft and drapey and perfect for this project.  In fact, it's so soft it almost feels like some sock yarn I had a while back that had hand lotion or lanolin or something added to it so that your feet were actually moisturized when you wore the socks.  Wish I could remember the name of that yarn.

Anyway, I am really, really loving this project.  And I'm really, really, really loving the way it reminds me of my favorite worn out jeans.  And as badly as I want to start a fourth shawl when I finish this one, I won't.  I am promising myself that I won't.  Instead, I'm going to finish the dreaded green lace Pi shawl so that I can start another Pi shawl using lace weight yarn from Tanis Fiber Arts.  That's what I'm promising myself.  But you know, promises are made to be broken...

1 comment:

  1. You definitely need an Alpaca. In fact, as I say around here "I think it needs me", and I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of Alpacas that need you. Yep, definitely. Then I can visit them and you. :)

    ReplyDelete