Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24, 2010

Great blog title, huh?  Guess I'm feeling a bit uncreative today.

Anyway...

I finally finished reading Eat, Pray, Love.  Or is it Eat Pray Love, without the commas?  What ever.  I finally finished it and am glad I stuck with it.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Love part, mainly because of the varied and kooky characters the author met while in Bali.  I'm not sure what I'll read next.  Probably either one of the many Philippa Gregory books on my list or Point Blank.  After struggling through Eat Pray Love, I feel the need for a quick, fun read.  The Gregory books aren't what I'd call "quick & fun" but I have very much enjoyed all of her books that I've read so far.  Point Blank looks like it would probably be a very quick read, but because of that, I'm thinking I might save it for when the Christmas Madness is threatening to destroy me.  But then, do I really want to have my nose buried in a book for 24 hours straight during Christmas Madness?  Decisions, decisions.

In other news, tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  How on earth did it get to be Thanksgiving already?  I don't even feel like we had a summer this year.  How can it possibly be the end of November?  And how could summer have gone unnoticed when we had record breaking heat just about every day?  Maybe the heat is why I didn't notice it.  I stayed holed up inside the air conditioned house the whole time instead of enjoying my normal summer activities.  But no matter how I feel about it, there's no getting around it.  Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  Which means today is baking day.

We go to my sister's for Thanksgiving every year so luckily, I don't have to worry about the turkey and all the trimmings.  I simply worry about desert.  And garlic biscuits.  Paula Deen's garlic biscuits to be exact.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/garlic-cheese-biscuits-recipe/index.html
We love these biscuits & I have to triple the recipe.  My son and I eat the first 12 straight off the baking sheet when they are still so hot we end up with "pizza burn" in our mouths.  The remaining two dozen get eaten at the Thanksgiving table and there are rarely any left overs.  And if there are a few stragglers left in the serving dish, my niece claims them and takes them home with her.

As for desert, I'll be making the traditional chocolate cake with mocha icing, pecan pie muffins and a pumpkin pie.  I'm not sure if the pecan pie muffins will actually be a desert or another bread to serve with dinner.  I've never made them before but I'm intrigued with their name, they look awfully easy & I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand, so....  Here's a link if you'd like to check them out:  http://www.livingonadime.com/pecan-pie-muffins/    The pumpkin pie is at my husband's request and the chocolate cake is basically for my sister & I.  The cake recipe comes from my grandmother.  I remember her making it for special occasions when I was a child and I was SO excited when I came across her recipe while looking through the family records.  I'll post the cake recipe one of these days when I'm in need of blog fodder.   But for now, it's time for me to go destroy my kitchen.

I hope you all have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment